The University of Virginia is seeking an hourly Grounds Worker to perform basic grounds maintenance duties such as mowing, weeding and mulching at Blandy Experimental Farm in Boyce, Virginia.
This is a seasonal position. Employment will continue through the growing season only - spring, summer and early fall.
Education: High School diploma or equivalent
Experience: None, although the ideal candidate will have some grounds maintenance experience.
Licensure: Valid Driver's License is preferred
Must be 18 years of age or older
The person in this position must be able to perform manual labor outdoors in a variety of harsh environmental conditions, using mowers, other landscape equipment, and hand tools. The use of both hands and a repetitive motion will be required while performing duties.
Position Compensation Range: $13.00 - $14.50 Hourly
To apply, go to Workday and submit an online application.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. (SPAKA)
Questions about the job? Contact Chris Schmidt, [email protected]. Questions related to the application process may be directed to Brandi Shifflett, HR Specialist at (434) 243-4095 or [email protected].
This is a wage position which is not eligible for leave or other benefits and is limited to 1500 hours of work in a year. For more information, refer to the Wage Employment link: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-029.
Field Station Manager
The University of Virginia seeks a full-time Field Station Manager at Blandy Experimental Farm in Boyce VA.
The Field Station Manager is responsible for administration of the research program and serves as facilities-use coordinator. The employee in this position works independently. They participate in planning and development of departmental policies, and they establish internal procedures. The Station Manager works closely with research faculty and other Blandy staff to ensure adequate availability and efficient operation of properly organized and equipped facilities for Blandy’s primary users.
Facilities Use Coordinator:
- Field requests for facilities/space at Blandy and manage communications with prospective users.
- Assign space and maintain multiple facility-wide calendars.
- Communicate Blandy facilities use policies to residents and other users.
- Make housing and roommate assignments.
- Distribute, collect, and accurately track all Blandy keys.
- Maintain Facilities Use pages on Blandy website.
Research Program Coordinator
- Facilitate and support Blandy researchers to ensure access to required information, equipment, tools, and other resources. Lead orientation sessions for researchers. Communicate safety protocols.
- Maintain and communicate policies for researchers and residents and establish related procedures.
- Create and maintain content for Research pages on Blandy website.
- Coordinate with researchers in selection of appropriate field sites and assign spaces in lab, research greenhouse. Maintain and update online map of field research sites.
- Coordinate with the land management team to minimize conflicts between landscape management activities (mowing, burning, etc.) and research activities at field sites.
- Organize Blandy Field Lab, Research Greenhouse, and related buildings/storage spaces. Arrange service for research equipment. Inventory supplies and chemicals, and order, receive, and distribute deliveries of lab and other supplies.
- Organize and oversee group laboratory cleaning events and ensure compliance with move-out protocols. Manage and oversee proper use, storage, and disposal of hazardous laboratory chemicals.
- Coordinate travel arrangements for participants in the Research Experiences for Undergraduates Program.
- Maintain computer room and lab conference room as safe, well-equipped workspaces for faculty, staff, researchers (students and visiting researchers), and other designated users.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
This position requires a high school diploma and six years of experience. A bachelor’s degree may substitute for experience. A valid driver’s license is required. Preference will be given to candidates with previous experience working at a field station or similar research facility. Administrative experience in a higher education setting is helpful, especially prior experience supporting a science department.
A successful candidate will be highly collaborative and service orientated, able to multi-task, problem solve, and handle multiple competing priorities. A well-qualified candidate will have the ability to interact positively with faculty, staff, students, and the general public, and the ability to work independently. Excellent interpersonal skills are a must.
This job involves use of a computer, but also requires the ability to walk to field sites outdoors in all weather conditions (extreme heat, humidity, cold, etc.). The employee in this position must be able to bend, and lift and carry items up to 50 lbs.
Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the box.
Process for External Applicants: Please apply through Workday https://hr.virginia.edu/careers-uva/job-openings , and search for R0032006. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (name, address, email address, telephone number).
Process for Internal UVA Applicants: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for R0032006. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three professional references (name, address, email address, telephone number).
Questions about this position? Contact Kyle Haynes, hay[email protected]
Questions about the application process? Contact Rich Haverstrom, [email protected]
COVID Vaccination Requirement
Please visit this page prior to applying for current information regarding vaccination requirements for employment at UVA.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.