The University of Virginia is seeking an Arboretum Specialist to work at Blandy Experimental Farm in Boyce, VA.
The Arboretum Specialist will assist the Arborist with maintaining, caring for, and tracking the arboretum collection of the State Arboretum of Virginia and the grounds of Blandy Experimental Farm. Duties include care of the collection, arboretum maintenance, propagation, specimen mapping, and records maintenance. This is a full-time position with a University of Virginia benefits package including paid leave, paid holidays, a range of health, dental and vision plan options, wellness programs and more.
The employee in this position will:
- Maintain and improve arboretum grounds which involves mowing, weeding, mulching, leaf removal, pruning, watering, and planting and removing trees and shrubs.
- Scout for and identify disease, weed, and insect problems and apply appropriate control measures which may include use of various types of pesticides.
- Have working knowledge of, or be willing to learn, operation of mowers, gators, chainsaws, weed eaters, tractors, and hand tools.
- Foster a safe working environment ensuring all safety measures required by OSHA, federal, state, and local regulations are met.
- Propagate specimens in the Arboretum collection and maintain related records.
- Assist in maintaining Arboretum database.
- Assist in mapping Arboretum specimens using GPS technology.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Horticulture, Forestry, or a related field. Work experience in a related field may be considered sufficient.
- Have a working, practical knowledge of plants and their care.
- Understand plant taxonomy.
- Have expertise in integrated pest management and arboriculture.
- Have experience in the various aspects of arboretum maintenance or a related field.
- Have a Virginia certified pesticide applicator's license. (Employees will be required to obtain a certified pesticide applicator's license within the first year of employment.)
- Know how to operate basic power equipment.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: Two years of relevant experience.
Licensure: Valid VA driver's license.
The employee in this position will work outdoors and in the propagation greenhouse. Outdoors they will be exposed to various weather conditions including extreme heat and cold, rain, and snow. The employee may be exposed to high noise levels from power equipment and machinery. The employee will be walking and working outdoors on uneven grass, gravel, and rock surfaces. This person will be exposed to pollen, poisonous plants, ticks, snakes, and stinging insects. The employee in this position must be able lift, climb ladders, bend, kneel, and use both hands to complete tasks involving repetitive motions.
Apply through Workday https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and search for R0040833.
Fully complete the online application, and attach the following required documents:
- Contact information for three references.
Applicants are encouraged to attach a cover letter.
Position will remain open until filled. Questions about the position? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.