Be sure to visit our registration request page to read our catalog of programs, learn about updates regarding COVID policies, and start the process of signing up for one of our preK-12 programs.
The following documents provide essential information to make your visit a success.
For 1 to 2 classes visiting Blandy: Allow 90 minutes for each program (which includes pre-program orientation and restroom break), unless otherwise stated in the program description. We can lead two programs at one time– one in the Parkfield Learning Center and one at Peetwood Pavilion. There are three time slots available (10:00 a.m., 11:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.). Please arrive 15 minutes before program start time.
For 3 to 5 classes visiting Blandy: The Education team at Blandy Experimental Farm has developed Rotation Schedules for many of the programs offered at Blandy. With these schedules, Blandy staff and teachers share the responsibility for leading students through the program activities. Rotation schedules are:
- Intended for schools bringing 3-5 classes in one day
- Planned for maximum student engagement
- Available for most programs except the following: Water Quality Technology and Science Explorations.
- A typical rotation will take about 2-3 hours. Call or email for more information.
- Arrival time is 9:40 a.m. for program briefing and restroom visits
Call 540-837-1758 Ext. 242 or email [email protected] if you have questions about program structure.
Fees: Program fees vary from $4 to $9 per student, depending on the program selected. Please see our catalog for details.
Our Facilities Include:
- 175-acre Arboretum collection featuring over 1,000 species of native and non-native trees, shrubs and herbaceous plants
- Parking area designated for school buses
- Picnic area with tables for ~80-100 people
- Wheelchair-accessible restrooms in Quarters, Parkfield Learning Center, and the Peetwood Pavilion.
Sample Rotation Schedule
Explore Ways To Integrate Your Blandy Experience Into Your Curriculum
Click on the individual program link for program overviews and cluster lessons which consist of several recommended activities to do before your field investigation at Blandy as well as synthesis and review lessons to follow.
|Early Explorers (PK-K)||Let's Sprout (K-2nd)|
|Mammals (PK-2nd)||Incredible Insects (2nd-3rd)|
|Scoop on Soil (3rd)||It's for the Birds (2nd-4th)|
|Snake Savvy (3rd-4th)||Rocks Talk (5th)|
|Vivid Virginia (3rd-4th)||Flower Functions (4th)|
|Watershed Investigations (6th)||Arborsleuth (6th-8th)|
|Young Ecologists (7th)||Water Quality Technology (9th-12th)|
|Science Explorations(9th-12th)||Environmental Science Investigations (9th-12th)|
|Self- Guided Backpacks (varies)|