The steam distribution system in the Quarters building at Blandy probably dates back to 1941. As was often the case at the time, some of the steam pipes, primarily in the attic, were insulated with asbestos. A survey of the building in the 1980s did not recommend removal, but recent damage to the asbestos insulation in the attic caused the University to recommend its removal now. The removal project began on 11 January 2021 and was completed by the following week. Marlin Phillips, the University of Virginia’s Asbestos and Lead Safety Program Manager, was at Blandy to oversee the project for its duration and ensure the safety of Blandy employees and visitors. Contractors will be reinsulating the pipes with fiberglass for the next couple of weeks, so we ask that nobody park in the staff lot at the Quarters. Bathrooms in the Quarters remain open to the public.